Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lights, Camera, BOREDOM!

Card of the Day: Two of Coins
Interpretation: Success in endeavors, but keep your day job. There shall be happiness, but not necessarily in the main endeavor.

Haven't you ever wanted to see a favorite character brought to life on the big screen? I actually haven't. I don't watch movies. It's not that I don't like them. "Recent" movies I have greatly enjoyed are Inception and Law Abiding Citizen. So why don't I watch them?

It is clear to me that movies are merely another medium for storytelling, with certain aspects necessary for its medium that don't appear in other mediums, such as literature or theater. Specifically, camera and lighting work (which is different from theater lighting. I think). But the most important issue, to me, is the length of movies. It's not that I can't do something for 2 hours non-stop. It's that I can't have my hands or mind idle that long. I don't want to sit there and watch something for a few hours. I want to DO stuff, even if that stuff is making silly comments about confetti!

Now, let me compare movies to other forms of storytelling: literature, theater, and TV.

Literature engages the mind much more than movies do. Not only do you have to interpret what the words mean, but you have to create a mental picture to keep track of what's going on. That is much more enjoyable than watching the picture already given to you. In addition, there's a certain tactile pleasure in flipping pages (or holding something that isn't a remote. I greatly prefer reading online materials on my laptop than on a desktop).

Theater's only difference from movies is locale. When you watch movies in your own home, there are so many other things to DO that actually involve DOING stuff that I always have preferences to those. In a cinema, it's a lot harder to make stupid comments without offending someone else. But in a theater, where the actors are present on the stage, live, it seems somewhat irreverent to make such comments. Thus, I have no desire to do so, and I can enjoy the story for what it is. That, and I have a soft spot for musicals, and I'm always seeing musicals in theater, as opposed to plays.

Television has one major difference from movies: commercials. I always have something else to do during the commercials, so I'm not bored out of my mind. It makes it easier to keep my attentino on the show when it IS on.

So it's not that movies aren't interesting. It's that I have many, many things I prefer to them.

Yesterday's Card: Reversed Four of Wands
Reflection: Well THAT was unexpected. A broken partnership...

No comments:

Post a Comment