Monday, May 2, 2011

Words of Praise for Fishfood

Card of the Day: Reversed Ten of Wands
Interpretation: Ok, I've noticed the pile. Let's start digging through it.

Everything good that has happened to my social life in the last year is the fault of my high school choir director.

Current status: Last weekend was busy for me, as I had a LARP game, followed by two nights of concerts that I performed in. In addition, two weeks ago we finished a campaign using the Spirit of the Century system (see this post), and next week we are starting a Shadowrun campaign. What does this have to do with the director? Well...

The concerts should be obvious. If it weren't for my director, I wouldn't be singing. I'd probably still be too self-conscious to try it. Considering how therapeutic I consider singing to be, I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the other hand, the gaming seems to be kind of out there. It's not that I wasn't previously interested in gaming. I've been a gamer since I was five years old. No, what the director did is put me in the right place at the right time. In my college choir, I met two people. These people are a couple, and they invited me out to two different LARPs... and through them, I met all of these other people that are now friends. This never would have happened if I had never placed a priority on joining a choir.

The story of why I joined choir (and never looked back) is actually kind of funny. My freshman year of high school, I auditioned for the musical. Now, I had never really done any singing before (church doesn't count. They don't care how good you sound there), but I took a stab at it anyway, since I knew I wanted to act. At the end of the audition, the director looked straight at me and said, "You have a great voice. Why aren't you in choir?" It was such a poignant question, and I had no idea how much it would impact my life. I have been singing since that day, and I don't plan on ever stopping.

On a semi-related note, I don't really have an interest in acting anymore. Role-playing satisfies that itch for me, and I've also discovered that I have a hard time playing characters that have some sort of antithesis to my personality. The good news is that I'm so multifaceted that I can latch onto aspects of characters and bring those to the fore, but it also means that there are many aspects that I can't portray because they oppose one of my own. Voice acting, on the other hand, would be a lot of fun.

Yesterday's Card: Ten of Wands
Reflection: A burden I'm pretending isn't there, and thus adding to my struggles...

No comments:

Post a Comment