Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Time for Introspection

Card of the Day: King of Coins
Interpretation: The implication here is success. Perhaps it is time to start a new project. Hmmm... I do believe I have another writing project I've been thinking about. I believe I might begin writing it today.

Perhaps I'll spend my first few posts getting to know myself better. As if I didn't already know, right? Well, that's the thing. Being yourself is a lot like speaking your native tongue. There are rules that you don't think about, but you follow them. There are certain words (or patterns) that are more common, but you just don't think about it. I go through the motions of being me without necessarily knowing the why.

I like the why.

I'm a rational being. Everything happens for a reason, even the really crappy stuff. Mind you, I'm not saying that the reasons have to be GOOD, they just have to exist. I believe in cause and effect. I like to observe the effect and think "what caused this?" In this case, I like to analyze my past, and find how it caused the person I am today.

As you can probably see, I am posting a "card of the day" with my posts. I have recently obtained a tarot deck (The Legacy of the Divine Tarot, if you care), and am learning through the "card a day" method. I am using this as a tool to reflect on myself; who I am, and who I want to be. Essentially, this blog is an extension of that quest.

Tarot is interesting, especially to someone like me. It's supposed to be a tool for divination and introspection. Yet there's no evidence that its predictions actually mean anything. But for introspection, anything that makes you think can be used for that. Tarot is as good as anything else for that.

As I mentioned above, I claim I'm rational. Then why do I seem to believe in something that has no grounds in rational fact? A desire for something more than what this world appears to be. It's as simple as that. Why do people cling to religions that don't necessarily have any factual grounds for their belief systems other than stories written in their holy works? For the same reason. We want to believe that there is something more than this meager existence we live. We want our lives to mean something. This is why we turn elsewhere than this world for hope and comfort.

I do not know whether or not a deck of cards holds any power to perceive the future. I do not know if all of the things people believe are reality or merely stories. What I do believe is that there's more to this world than even science can explain.

My evidence? Luck.

Luck can't be explained. There's a certain thing called the "butterfly effect" that can hide many causes of "lucky" occurrences, but there are some things you just can't explain. Those times you're playing a card game, and you need that one specific card to come up, and it does. For some people, this seems to happen consistently through no effort of their own. Probability can explain this somewhat, but when people start avoiding even the standard deviations, you start to wonder. That, and serendipity is crazy.

And so, in my search for causality in my life, I will be using the tarot as my tool for reflection. Whether or not I choose to talk about myself in my post, I will have that box at the top. It will probably get more organized and purposeful as I go.


Yesterday's Card: The Hanged Man (XII)
Reflection: Oh yes. I started this blog yesterday. It will be my tool for reflection, represented by the Hanged Man himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment